- Everything starts from a dot.
- Every work of art is the child of its age and, in many cases, the mother of our emotions.
- To create a work of art is to create the world.
- An empty canvas is a living wonder... far lovelier than certain pictures.
- Each period of a civilisation creates an art that is specific in it and which we will never see reborn. To try and revive the principles of art of past centuries can lead only to the production of stillborn works.
- There is no must in art because art is free.
- The nightmare of materialism, which has turned the life of the universe into an evil, useless game, is not yet past; it holds the awakening soul still in its grip.
- Objects damage pictures
- The more frightening the world becomes ... the more art becomes abstract.
- Each color lives by its mysterious life.
- Color is the keyboard, the eyes are the harmonies, the soul is the piano with many strings. The artist is the hand that plays, touching one key or another, to cause vibrations in the soul.
- Color is a power which directly influences the soul.
- Color provokes a psychic vibration. Color hides a power still unknown but real, which acts on every part of the human body.
- The sound of colors is so definite that it would be hard to find anyone who would express bright yellow with base notes, or dark lake with the treble.
- The artist must train not only his eye but also his soul.
- A painter, who finds no satisfaction in mere representation, however artistic, in his longing to express his inner life, cannot but envy the ease with which music, the most non-material of the arts today, achieves this end. He naturally seeks to apply the methods of music to his own art.
- The artist is not a 'Sunday child' for whom everything immediately succeeds. He does not have the right to live without duty. The task that is assigned to him is painful, it is a heavy cross for him to bear.
- Music is the ultimate teacher.
- With few exceptions, music has been for some centuries the art which has devoted itself not to the reproduction of natural phenomena, but rather to the expression of the artist's soul, in musical sound.
- The deeper the blue becomes, the more strongly it calls man towards the infinite, awakening in him a desire for the pure and, finally, for the supernatural... The brighter it becomes, the more it loses its sound, until it turns into silent stillness and becomes white.
- Lend your ears to music, open your eyes to painting, and... stop thinking! Just ask yourself whether the work has enabled you to 'walk about' into a hitherto unknown world. If the answer is yes, what more do you want?
- Our epoch is a time of tragic collision between matter and spirit and of the downfall of the purely material world view.
- The spirit, like the body, can be strengthened and developed by frequent exercise. Just as the body, if neglected, grows weaker and finally impotent, so the spirit perishes if untended.
- That is beautiful which is produced by the inner need, which springs from the soul.
- Is beautiful what proceeds from an inner necessity of the soul. Is beautiful what is inwardly beautiful.
- Imagination is what allows your mind discover.
- All methods are sacred if they are internally necessary. All methods are sins if they are not justified by internal necessity.
One quote"The artist is not a 'Sunday child' for whom everything immediately succeeds. He does not have the right to live without duty. The task that is assigned to him is painful, it is a heavy cross for him to bear."all quotes
Picture of the DayColor Study with Lozenges